Wednesday, March 14, 2012

a Lent experience

Gary and I are doing a 40-day long Bible study together, and meeting once a week with a small group from our church.

It has been the most transformative experience we have had in our marriage.

A typical evening, before: mindlessly watching whatever our DVR has recorded for us while we shovel our dinner into our mouths and shuffle through the evening exhausted from a long day with children (me) and work (him). Gary plays Words with Friends on his iPad while I read Facebook on my iPhone. We are kind but distracted.

A typical evening, after: we are sitting together and reading Scriptures together every night (usually at the dining room table while we eat dinner). We are reading the Bible and learning to interpret it for ourselves- not what a minister might say or a naysayer might think. We are having dialogue about how to bring this wisdom into our daily life.

And we are praying for our family together. Praying for our children, our marriage, and all the little and big things that come our way.  Thoughtful prayer for each other and our marriage has been instrumental at bridging the gaps that can come between us.  And I am finding that my days are more peaceful, more intentional, and that I can feel that God is with me.

And truthfully, there is nothing sexier to me than watching my husband pour over his Bible and have honest, intelligent dialogue together and then hear him pray for our children. It is simply the coolest.

I am blessed.


(A note to my non-religious friends, whom I cherish: In sharing this aspect of my life with you, I know that you will respect my beliefs  just as I respect your beliefs and choices. Thanks!)

3 comments:

  1. jen...love this. i have been facing some incredibly hard stuff myself, and what has helped me more than anything has been my therapy, and my meditation practice, about which i feel much the same as you do religion. one of my favorite lessons from the philosophy that roots my meditation practice (and therapy, for that matter) is the remembrance that:

    I’m not like you.
    I’m something like you.
    I’m nothing but you.

    All three are true all of the time.

    love you,
    s

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure I speak for all your non-believing friends when I say I respect you & Gary way too much to ever poop all over your blog regarding a difference in beliefs. I'm an atheist, not a mean girl! ;) That said, it's totally lovely whenever a couple can tear themselves away from a glowing screen and actually talk to each other. Rick & I have been making a concerted effort to do this more, in general, and we're always so happy when we do. It's like, you know you're with the right person when you can always have awesome conversations, and learn things together, and be excited about the future you're going to spend together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so important to share something this special in a marriage/relationship, whatever it is that bonds the two people, be it religion or other beliefs/philosophies/values. It's really inspiring to hear about you two exploring this together and working it into your family fabric. I know that I would like my children to have some sort of religious background and guidance so this has helped me think about how hubby and I need to share it first :)
    xoxo Linz

    ReplyDelete