Thursday, May 3, 2012

getting dirty

I've decided to start writing entries whenever the mood strikes. I keep waiting until I have the time to sit down and write, and ponder, and ruminate,and come up with some glorious revelation. And that just doesn't happen with young children. So, I'm letting go of 32 years of self-conscious criticism (at least when it comes to grammar and writing), and I'm just going to do what I can and push "Publish" without worry.
___

This photo is of Juliet playing in the dirt this week at Acacia park. We walk there a lot in the afternoons.

On this particular day, she found a stick to play in the dirt with. Twin sisters, about 4 years old, soon came over to play with her in the dirt, too. Their grandmother, who was watching them, yelled sharply at them to "get away from the dirt. You're going to get dirty!!". They were wearing play clothes- jeans, sneakers,  cotton shirts. Nothing that a little dirt would hurt.

The girls didn't answer their grandmother and continued to play with Juliet in the dirt. Another minute later, the grandmother was yanking them up and scolding, "We're going home now because you didn't listen! LOOK at YOU! You're DIRTY!". The girls whined and cried as they made their way to their car.

Of course, I have no idea what was happening beyond what I saw. For all I know, they had an important family portrait to take when they got home, and needed to be clean. I've learned from my own parenting mistakes, that one should do their best not to judge. But from the outside point of view, I felt a little sad for those girls, who were learning that getting dirty was something they were punished for. And I'm no perfect mother- I'm impatient and tired and short-tempered and I can go on and on and on- but I'm happy that I can let my little girl play in the dirt without worry or consequence.

oh, and p.s. See that shirt? She is OBSESSED with it. I have one in her size as well as a matching one in Audrey's (6-9 months). She insists on wearing it every single day, pulling it out of the laundry hamper each morning as soon as she wakes. It's been 1 week and I'm rotating her shirt with Audrey's (which fits except for some belly hanging out!) She is becoming very particular about her clothing and shoes lately, in a ridiculously endearing way. I am happy to oblige, for now at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment